Planning & Zoning Department
Planning & Zoning is responsible for community development, township planning and zoning regulation.
The department also provides staff support to the Planning Commission, and Zoning Board of Appeals in the review of all development plans proposed within the Township. Other staff functions involve public hearings for zoning amendments, variances, special use permits, along with subdivision platting and planned unit developments.
- Peg Hartman, Chairperson
- Joe Bellina, Secretary
- Richard Cooper
- John McNelis
- Dale Strefling
- Darlene Clevenger
- Myrna Hunt
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE PLANNING COMMISSION
- Maintain and update the Master Plan for the Townships land use development and preservation.
- Maintain and update the Zoning Ordinances.
- Review site plans for all major developments in the township and make recommendations.
- Review all zoning change requests and special use requests.
- John Vandyke - Chairperson
- Joe Bellina
- Marge Durm-Hiatt
- James Ellis
- Lee Hoffman
- Alternate (unfilled at present time)
The Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) generally meets twice a year; in January and July, and at other times as needed, to hear appeals and variance requests. Their meetings are generally scheduled for the 3rd Tuesday of the month at 7:00 pm at the Township Hall. Applications to be considered must be submitted 30 days in advance of any meeting. If there is no business a meeting may be cancelledRESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ZONING BOARD OF APPEALS
The Zoning Board of Appeals conducts hearings for property owners or prospective buyers requesting a variance or deviation from the Niles Charter Township Zoning Ordinance or an interpretation of the ordinance language. They will also hear and decide appeals where it is alleged there is an error in any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the Zoning Administrator. An application and supporting documentation must be submitted. The ZBA will only grant variances in the rarest situations as the zoning regulations are intended to protect the general health, safety, and welfare of the township.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ZONING ADMINISTRATOR
- Receive applications for zoning compliance permits and issue or deny same.
- Assist and communicate with the general public, applicants, developers and their representatives with zoning inquires, proposals and applications.
- Work with the Township Planner and provide staff reports and other information as needed to the Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Overall responsibility to administer the zoning ordinances. Any question regarding zoning ordinances contact Denise Kasprzak (click on link for email) or via phone at (269) 684-0870, ext. 20.